Month: December 2013

Sunday – the day of rest?

Got some more hours outside on Sunday very late arvo / night.  After mowing the lawn, doing some reticulation work etc – then it was time!

Got the rest of the sealant out of the boot area and got all of that cleaned up.   Also took another lot of material out of the parcel shelf – all the “unused brackets” as per the regs 🙂

IMAG0079

 

 

Then finished all of the panel beating on the front end to get the rest of that all lined up, then welded it on.

IMAG0093

 

 

After that it was play time.  I used the fibreglass molds of the roof scoop that I made, and the mold I tool from the front 1/4 panels to make some fibreglass parts to use as the basis for shaping up parts on the car.

First up was roof scoop:

IMAG0090 IMAG0089

 

I’ve glued it on, so that I can start reshaping it slightly.  Once that is done I’ll take a mold off it, and then produce the final scoop.

 

Then, for some fun I started the top section of the rear flares – just sticky taped on at this stage, but….

IMAG0092

 

 

Then to waste a little bit more time, put one of the Falcon’s tyres in the hole.

IMAG0096 IMAG0095

 

The pics really don’t show it, but its going to look tough pumped out by 50mm per side!

Finally some time!

Between work, BLUE, birthdays and Christmas car time has been severely limited over the last month or so.

Finally got some shed time and made some good progress.  Step one was cleaning up…………..

IMAG0072

And then that day was over…….   The bigger the shed, the bigger the mess 😦

Got the rest of the chassis jig finished, aligned and all welded up, ready for the body work and cage.

IMAG0077

Now that the car is all straight and locked into place, work started on the front end.

IMAG0082 IMAG0074

At this point, it was getting late, and the final steps for the front end involved hammers, grinders and an assortment of other noisy gear, so I switched to design mode…

Started planning out seating position and spare tyre mounting locations.

IMAG0075 IMAG0076 IMAG0080

One of the rules that has changed since I last gravel rallied is that you are now allowed to add flares and other fibreglass parts to the car, if the car is over than 10 years in age.  Part of this allows you to remove 75mm of the original metal, for tyre clearance, so I started marking out where that would be, to see how it will all fit together.  The inner most line is where I’m allowed to cut out, the outer line is the maximum extremity of where the flares can extend to.

IMAG0083 IMAG0084

More tomorrow night I hope 🙂

Going mouldy

Got the odd chunks of 20mins of shed time over the last two nights, and some molds of the falcon’s roof scoop are the result.

These pics are straight out of of the molding process – not even polished yet and they are so shiny!  Very pleased, slowly getting better at this whole fibreglass melarky 🙂

 

This is the top part, it sits on top of the roof of the car.

IMAG0053

 

 

This part is inside the car, on the inside of the roof.  The two circles are cut out and replaced with air vents or tubes to point the air onto you.

IMAG0056

 

 

And a family pic of them together.

IMAG0057

 

Hopefully some more progress will happen over the next week.