Month: May 2013

Project: Clear the hoist

Most of the day was dedicated to the Falcon again, but I spent an hour getting the chassis ready to get it off the hoist, so the Falcon can go on.

Got the removable frame in.  In the apex of each tube, you can see the parts that I finished off last night, so you can see how they have been used.

image

The frame also pics up the front of the gearbox as a mounting point.

 

Then I did a bit on the drivers side engine mount.

image

I’ve gone a different strategy to the last engine mounts that I built.  These ones have been made with material 2mm at its thickest – so even though its looks like there is a lot there, its all really light.

image

 

Because of the angles of everything, the engine mount needs to unbolt from the removable frame.  The plate will be welded to the removable frame, then a bolt will go through this plate, the tube and then through another plate on the other side.

image

 

Next job is two small tubes need to go in where the red tape is.  This will tie everything together, and will be where the shocks attach, so needs to be really strong.

image

 

With 10 mins to go before I ended the night, I started playing with the shock mount options.  I think this is the approximate location of the final shock position.

image image image image

Where the shocks are is approximate, they are only cable tied on so they aren’t central or lined up with each other.  During this exercise I’ve also seen that I will need to rotate the steering rack a little bit to lower the steering shaft exit point, so that it will clear the shocks.

Thanks all for now, hopefully I can find the motivation to do a couple of hours tomorrow night to finish the engine mounts, pull the motor out and get it all off the hoist – might be a bit optimistic for a week night….

Feeling BLUE

The last two weeks have been busy getting the rally falcon ready for its first dirt event next month (The kids have nicknamed it BLUE – Big Loud Ugly Edifice).

I spent 30 minutes tonight getting some parts finished off to make the engine mounts and support frame.

image

I’ll better explain what they are once I start building them into the chassis.  They will be used to mount this frame in place (mocked up with masking tape in later pictures).

I got one more tube into the front end chassis too.  One more tube and the main chassis part is complete.

image image

One thing that I needed was somewhere to attach the engine mounts too, and to also add a lot more strength into the chassis around the motor.  Where the motor sits is a large hole in the structure, but as the engine drops out the bottom, anything below it needs to be removable.

Here are some initial design mock-ups, in my favorite substitute for chrome-molt tubing.

image

I have to decide between the masking tape version or the red electrical tape version in that front part of the chassis.  I think this will come down to where the front shocks will be mounted – which is undecided at this point…  I’ll make the part under the motor first, add the engine mounts to that, then build the front portion when the shock mounting location are confirmed.

Last weekend I also got another strip of insulation and two more lights mounted to the roof and wired up – It was too dark to work on the Falcon in this middle part of the shed at night, as previously I only had the lights done at each end, where the Sil is and where the main work bench is.  Its so much brighter with just these two done and I’ve still got another 7 lights to go on the roof – can’t wait for that!  I don’t realize how dark it is until I add another light in there.

image

I need to get these engine mount done, so I can take the Sil off the hoist and put the Falcon on the hoist – all this laying on the ground under a car sux, especially when the next step is welding under there!