Month: November 2016

Procrastinating my way to progress

The Darling 200 rally was on, so no car progress was made on Saturday.

Sunday was finishing off the cage bars, and the plan was to get the floor done.

IMAG0250.jpg

The cage is now done, but as usual I found another bunch of things that I should finish before the floor goes back in, so I decided to leave it out for now.  No floor makes access to inside the car and under the dash a lot easier, at least that is my excuse.

All of these other things that I found involved burning myself with the MIG welder and then the grinder, so I figured I might as well get side tracked and go and do something else that sounded more fun.

I got the inserts for the suspension arms machined.IMAG0252.jpg

And with that now done, and the suspension arm jig done I figured why not make the replacement arm…  It’s not procrastination if you are achieving things, right?

IMAG0249.jpg

After I weld on the ball joint mount, its ready for paint and then that task is done.  If time permits I want to make a set of spare front arms, we’ll see how things go.

What other excuses do I have?

Oh, the radiator need to be modified, that is a good excuse.

IMAG0248.jpg

I cut off the stock shroud mounts, made a new bottom outlet and cut off the filler neck/cap.  The bottom outlet was replaced by a slightly bigger one, the same size as the water pump inlet as its much easier to find hoses with the same size on both ends.  Welded up the old mounts, and sealed off the radiator cap opening as I run a separate coolant header tank.

Added the air bleed and the return lines to it, and made some threaded inserts to mount the fan and and welded those into the rad.  Now all I need is a fan that has blades on it….

Finished off a bunch of other odd jobs in a desperate attempt to not have to do any more overhead MIG welding.  After those were complete, I had to man up and fire up the welder ready for the joys of showering yourself with red hot metal.  There were a number of places up under the dash area, and in the foot well that needed to be welded from the inside, to join the original car to the donor parts, so I got all of these places welded back together, with a touch of seam welding to ensure its all stronger than is was before.

Sadly it was now getting too late on Sunday night to fire up the angle grinder for an hour to clean everything up ready for paint, so that will have to wait – shame…..

Wow, time flies!

I’ve been a very lazy blogger!

For much of the last two months, not a lot of car progress has been had.  Between the flu, doing road closures at a few rallies, a car club slot car day with my little boy, and a couple of weekends cleaning up the shed and the used car yard and two months has gone.

A few managed to get a few car things sorted out, starting with cutting up one of the new S15s that I have collected in recent months.IMAG0194.jpg

Lots of right rear damage and passenger side door damage.  Cut the front off, and the left rear outer 1/4 panel and have stored them behind the shed.  The rest has been returned to the scrap metal yard.

With the rally car totally in pieces, there are bits of it spread throughout the shed that are taking up a lot more room than they do when its all together, I got too frustrated with it all laying everywhere so started operation shed clean.  The plan was to spend a day, get it all tidied up and then go again.  5 full days worth of weekends, adding new shelves, modifying a work bench and moving it to the other side of the shed, adding more insulation, taking a full trailer load of scrap metal away and its still not complete!  I am at least at the stage where walking in the shed no longer involves tripping over things at every step.

I ordered the parts to fix the rear shocks that I damaged at the Forest Rally, so they are ready to be dropped off, refilled with oil and re-gassed as soon as I get a chance.

One of the jobs to do was to fit the thermo to the new radiator, the other radiator was twisted and leaks after the crash.  Took the fan off and…

IMAG0232.jpg

Hmm, need to add a new thermo fan to the shopping list….  Looks like it was spinning when the radiator bent.

One of the items that I wasn’t happy with was the rush job on the mount for the digital dash, so while it was 38 degrees on Saturday (too hot for me to go outside) I sketched up a new one, and let the mill cut it out while I stayed inside in the AC.  Was really happy how it turned out!

IMAG0230.jpg IMAG0247.jpg

Sundays weather was far more tolerable, so got stuck into the car and got a decent amount complete.

Made a nicer version of the suspension arm jig, so I can remake the right front arm.  The previous one worked, but it was rough and din’t make it easy to weld up the arms while they were in the jig…  This one is no masterpiece, but its a lot more accurate than the old one and is much easier to make the arm in.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get to GoGear and get some more moly tube, so that I can finish off the arm on Sunday.

I also managed to finish the top tube out to the strut tower, and have the lower tube 80% complete.  Another thing on the list to finish on Sunday.

imag0245 imag0244

The inner an outer sil panels are now all welded up, as are all of the layers of the A pillar.

As soon as the cage bars to the stut tops are fully welded, I’ll put the floor back in and start the process of getting the chassis ready for some paint and while that’s not even close to the end of it, it will be a big milestone that will keep the motivation up.