More work on mounting the car to the jig. While I don’t need it for this fix, while I had a straight car on it, I picked up an old s13 subframe, and mounted it to the jig. If I ever damage the rear of mine, I now have a bunch of reference points to work with.
Did the same with a front crossmember, will need to make sure these are all perfectly square once I get the blue car off the jig.
Machined out a another bunch of parts, to make the pulling arm.
And with the magic of television we have an almost complete pulling arm. I’ve made it all adjustable, arm lengths and angles can all be changed for ‘next time’.
As soon as I make the mount to fix the arm to the main jig, we can have a tug at the front of the blue car and see if this monster will work.
Got the blue car positioned exactly central over the jig, and have started making up mounts to hold various parts of the car.
Started with one in each corner of the sil panels, holding the pinch welds under the car.
Also did a bit of cleaning up around the shed, here is what is left of the right front rim. At least like this it makes un-mounting the tyre really easy.
The impact has bent the mounts on the shock absorber, broken the brake caliper off both of its mounts, snapped the lower suspension arm, bent the front cross member. Luckily the engine and gearbox mounts both bent when everything moved, so the engine block and gearbox case seem to be undamaged. The pedal box frame is also going to need to be rebuilt, as its bent, and the throttle pedal will need to be re-made as its been bent sideways and twisted around, also breaking the rose joints used as the linkage – I still had my foot on the throttle on impact, sometimes never lift doesn’t work out…
Only as a frustrated spectator this time.
We did a road closure for the Boddington Rally, awesome event, great place to watch to the cars. From our location we got to see them pass us twice, with 5+ corners all visible. Great day, great event – need to get car fixing.