Month: December 2012

The prep continues

The body is 99% done, we are just perfecting the finish.  One more night of spray putty and sanding and she should be done.

image

 

The other side.  We’ve added our own custom touches to the body, to keep it standard, but different…

image

 

JC hard at work…

image

 

The mold of the door skin after just being laid  up.  Hopefully it comes off cleanly.

We started on the door to get our techniques perfected before we start on the main car body.

image

 

More soon.

Sanding, spraying, then more sanding…

Work continues getting the body perfect before the mold is taken.

Most of the body is complete, just a few tiny little bits to do

image

View of the other side.

image

One door smoothed, and ready for having its mold taken.

image

Other door very close to being done.

image

Another few hours of work and it will be ready to have the molds done, just need to get this whole Christmas thing out of the way 🙂

Waneroo Results

It was a hot day, and a slippery track, but we managed to do quite well.

  • 1st in class for the day
  • New class record for the long circuit at Waneroo (Fastest ever lap by a car with a roof in the Speed Event Series competition!)
  • 2nd Outright for the day

This meant that we not only won our class for the whole year, but also managed to get 3rd outright for the year behind two of the open wheelers.

A huge thanks to Simon at GTI Performance Centre for the motor and gearbox that are in the car now, could not have completed these final two events of the year without your help.

I also need to thank the family for putting up with me for another year 🙂

Weekend work

The first order of business was some cleaning up of the shed – something that was VERY much needed.

Spent 6hrs cleaning up the floor, packing tools away, putting things back on shelves and it was time to do some real work.

In the last few events, I’ve had issues with the buttons on the steering wheel that operate the functions in the dash.  So, two new buttons installed – hopefully the issues are now fixed.

image

Continuing with the electrical theme, I re-did the master feed wires from the battery.  The starter motor is now not part of the circuit that has the 100 amp breaker on it, as I was tripping the breaker when cranking the car over for longer periods of time.  So there is now a new battery kill switch, and the other items have been modified to make it all a little better, and a little lighter.

image

Then it was onto the starter switch.  This was sticking on some times, so its been replaced with a new button, as previewed a few weeks ago.

image

Next up is a new ignition switch which I picked up today, then the electrics are done (for now anyway – some ideas for next year are in my head for further reducing weight.)

Also make some mods to the passenger window, finishing it up to a nicer standard than it was at Pemberton, where I was very limited on prep time.

The front wheels are off, ready to change the front end wheel alignment – taking some camber our.  Starting this is tonight’s job, but its not a fast job…..

Then its just a bunch of clean-up items to be ready for Thursday scrutineering …  checking oil, bleeding brakes, coolant levels etc.